This is an exciting opportunity for those working within the tourism industry within Tayside, Fife and Aberdeenshire. As part of the Scottish Government’s £25m Tourism Recovery Fund, a dedicated programme of fully funded training has been developed for those working in the tourism industry. This ranges from help for those just starting their leadership journey through to those already leading.
The Destination Leaders Programme, a fully funded course being led by Edinburgh Napier on behalf of the STLP *partners, brings together like-minded individuals to gain the knowledge and skills to work effectively as a destination leader by learning about international best practice, insights and networks. It’s open to individuals from tourism businesses and organisations across Scotland with a key and active role in the business.
Three cohorts will be delivered across Scotland, starting in October 2021, with the application process now open.
- Cohort 1 – Glasgow and Edinburgh – commencing 27th October
- Cohort 2 – Aberdeenshire, Fife & Tayside – commencing 11 Nov (applications close 28 October).
- Cohort 3 – Pan Scotland
Scottish Tourism Leadership Programme (STLP)
The Scottish Tourism Leadership Programme is part of ten programmes announced by the First Minister in support of the Tourism Recovery Plan. It was developed to support business and community-led tourism enterprises to take the lead in driving recovery in those places across Scotland which depend on visitor spend to create and support jobs and in many rural areas, to retain important local services and encourage entrepreneurship along the way.
Delivered across Scotland, STLP, which is a competitive application process, offers high-quality, accredited leadership training and ongoing professional development, giving individuals the opportunity to:
- Develop personal leadership skills and expertise
- Gain insight from fellow participants and learn from industry and destination experts
- Become part of a growing national network of people working together to develop innovative tourism opportunities
STLP also offers an additional two courses which are accepting applications from now until February 22:
- Introduction to Tourism Leadership being led by Scottish Enterprise and delivered by Edinburgh Napier University. Eight courses will run throughout 2021/22, some of which will be customised around specialist sub-sectors and in line with our Business Plan ambitions to work more intensively in some regions, we have taken a targeted approach in prioritising Ayrshire, by offering a regional cohort which will provide a platform for business and individuals to come together and support the visitor economy ambitions set out in the region’s Growth Deal and the Regional Economic Strategy.
- Communities Leading in Tourism an online personal development programme led by Highlands and Islands Enterprise helping communities shape the future of local tourism. This is available on a pan Scotland basis and although the first cohort is now closed to applicants, individuals can register their interest for the second pan Scotland cohort today.
The Scottish Government’s £25milion Tourism Taskforce Recovery Plan was launched in March in response to the COVID pandemic with an aim to build resilience, recovery and encourage re-growth in Scotland’s businesses and regions.
*Scottish Enterprise (SE), alongside Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE), South of Scotland Enterprise (SOSE) and Skills Development Scotland (SDS) have worked in partnership to design and deliver this comprehensive Scotland wide programme which is offering fully funded places for up to 300 participants between now and March 2022.